Position: Research Lead
Reports to: Principal
Start Date: Flexible
Location: Calgary, AB or Remote
Medlior seeks to pioneer the future of healthcare with data driven solutions, and our purpose is to foster decision-making with high-quality evidence.
As a senior member of our growing research consultancy, the Research Lead has the responsibility of leading a variety of diverse health outcomes research studies, under the supervision and guidance of a Principal.
The Research Lead is a highly collaborative individual who actively supports a positive team culture and seeks to improve internal capabilities and opportunities for Medlior to positively impact global health. The Research Lead supervises the work of junior staff to ensure compliance with Medlior processes and may be requested to line manage members of the Research and/or Data teams.
The Research Lead is a role model for our core value of “Methods Matter” and is responsible for ensuring methodological rigor and high-quality deliverables are provided to our clients. The Research Lead brings a forward-thinking lens to our project strategies, and a willingness to adapt to changing requirements or utilize new tools/techniques to offer innovative solutions to our clients.
The position requires work in primarily in quantitative research projects. Given the nature of the role, Research Leads need to be comfortable with shifting priorities, a variable workload, and working within the constraints of tight timelines.
- A research-based graduate degree, in a scientific or healthcare-related discipline, with formal training in epidemiology or health economics an asset.
- Familiarity with a variety of research methodologies, and at least an intermediate to advanced level understanding in at least one of Medlior’s area of focus on (i.e., HTA, health economics, real world evidence, literature reviews, or medical writing)
- Minimum of 5-years of professional experience with healthcare-related research. Experience in a commercial sector is an asset.
- Minimum of 2-years of experience with people management and in a leadership position
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills
- Self-motivated, highly organized, and detail oriented
- Able to work successfully within a set timeframe
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all members of the Medlior team, and the ability to work in an environment of continuous change and growth
Responsibilities and Duties
The Research Lead will work closely with the project Principal, who will have strategic oversight and who may serve as final sign-off for project deliverables.
- Responsible for discussing and receiving approval on the project strategy/ protocol with the project Principal
- Accountable for the client communications and external meetings
- Seeking approval from the project Principal for all communications regarding scope, budget, and timelines
- Accountable for the project execution including:
- Overseeing the work of junior staff and contractors, ensuring quality and accountability on project tasks, ensuring compliance with Medlior SOPs, and overseeing and approving project operations including timelines, budget, and invoices
- Responsible for reviewing and approving project deliverables and seeking Principal input where needed to ensure all final outputs are accurate, valid, and reliable
- Accountable that all client feedback has been addressed appropriately or flagged for discussion
- Accountable for clear, concise, accurate, and meaningful interpretation, communication, and presentation of results
- Responsible for identifying and discussing the need for scope amendments with the Principal
Additionally, Research Leads are active members of the Management Team. As a member of the Management Team, the Research Lead will have the following responsibilities:
- Direct “non-billable” internal activities (e.g., draft proposals; pursue methodological advancements; line manage Research Managers, Research Associates, Research Assistants, and Research Students; lead in-house training activities; etc.)
- Participate in recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees
- Coach and mentor junior staff
- Provide and seek regular feedback from all members of project teams
- Recommend opportunities for business development (e.g., scope amendments, etc.)
- Recommend opportunities for internal process/procedural improvements
- Support marketing activities (including speaking opportunities at external events)
Employment is contingent on the applicant’s confirmation of eligibility to be employed in Canada (i.e., a valid social insurance number and, if applicable, supporting documentation from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada [IRCC]). It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that they are legally entitled, pursuant to IRCC’s requirements, to work at Medlior.
Candidates will be contacted via Medlior email to schedule first-round interviews. Please ensure to check your Spam or Junk Mail email folder to prevent missed communication, and mark the email as “not junk”.
Please email us your resume and cover letters to HR@nullmedlior.com