Position: Research Manager
Reports to: Research Lead
Start Date: Flexible
Location: Calgary, AB or Remote
Medlior seeks to pioneer the future of healthcare with data driven solutions, and our purpose is to foster decision-making with high-quality evidence.
As quarterbacks within our growing research consultancy, the Research Managers are responsible for managing a variety of diverse health outcomes research studies under the supervision and guidance of a Research Lead and Principal.
Research Managers are responsible for the successful project management of assigned Medlior studies, including, but not limited to, the execution of tasks to align with the contracted timelines and budget. They also contribute to all aspects of the study, from the development of the protocol to reporting and are responsible for internal and client communications. Research Managers supervise the work of junior staff and contractors and may be requested to line manage junior members of the team.
Research Managers at Medlior value teamwork and enjoy collaborating internally and externally to execute successful research studies. They are focused on delivering high-quality evidence and ensuring compliance to Medlior processes. In addition, their willingness to adapt, learn, and share novel solutions to improve our projects and processes are critical to success in this role.
Given the nature of the position, applicants should be comfortable with shifting priorities, a variable workload, and working within the constraints of tight timelines.
- A research-based graduate degree, in a scientific or healthcare-related discipline. Formal training in epidemiology is an asset.
- Familiarity with a variety of research methodologies, and at least an intermediate level understanding in at least one of Medlior’s area of focus (e.g., HTA, real world evidence, evidence synthesis). Experience with study design is an asset.
- Minimum of 5-years of experience with healthcare-related research (a combination of education and/or experience may be considered)
- Minimum of 2-years of experience with project management
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills
- Self-motivated, highly organized, and detail oriented
- Able to work successfully within a set timeframe
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all members of the Medlior team, and the ability to work in an environment of continuous change and growth
Generally, the Research Manager will act as the project manager. As a project manager, the Research Manager is responsible for:
- Managing, coaching, and mentoring junior staff (Research Associates, Research Assistants, Research Students).
General Project Management:
- Responsible for execution of all project management/operation tasks of assigned projects
- Consulted on methodological strategy with the Research Lead and Principal
- Responsible for raising any project-related issues with the Research Lead in timely and effective manner
- Responsible for preparing project deliverables and proposing solutions to Research Lead and/or Principal for any project issues that arise
- Responsible for managing the project budget to align with contracting
- Responsible for setting up, monitoring, and approving billable hours on time-tracking tool
- Responsible for managing project timelines to align with contracting
- Responsible for managing project resources by assigning tasks and estimating hours for project tasks using project-management software
- Responsible for overseeing the work of Research Associates, Research Assistants, Research Students, and Contractors, including delegating responsibility, ensuring accountability, and reviewing contractor and student invoices and timesheets
- Responsible for set-up and management of project-related tools (e.g., Distiller, EndNote, ShareFile, Qualtrics)
- Responsible for internal team communications
- Responsible for scheduling and leading internal and/or external meetings, including preparation of meeting agenda, meeting minutes, and PowerPoint presentation slides
- Responsible for preparing and sending client communications with minimal supervision, except for communications regarding scope, budget, and timelines
- Responsible for ensuring the completion and quality assurance of project deliverables
- Responsible for ensuring all client feedback has been addressed appropriately or flagged for discussion with the project team
- Responsible for ensuring clear, concise, accurate, and meaningful interpretation, communication, and presentation of results
- Responsible for ensuring deliverables are client-ready (according to Medlior SOPs and templates) prior to review and sign-off by a Research Lead
Other responsibilities and duties include:
- Contributing to the analysis and reporting on diverse health outcomes research projects
- Participating in recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees
- Preparing and leading in-house training activities
- Providing and seeking regular feedback from all members of project teams
- Complying with all Medlior policies and SOPs
- Working in the best interests of Medlior and in accordance with the Core Values.
Employment is contingent on the applicant’s confirmation of eligibility to be employed in Canada (i.e., a valid social insurance number and, if applicable, supporting documentation from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada [IRCC]). It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that they are legally entitled, pursuant to IRCC’s requirements, to work at Medlior.
Candidates will be contacted via Medlior email to schedule first-round interviews. Please ensure to check your Spam or Junk Mail email folder to prevent missed communication, and mark the email as “not junk”.
Please email us your resume and cover letters to HR@nullmedlior.com