Senior Research Lead
We are currently seeking a highly motivated Senior Research Lead to join our boutique contract research organization. We work with pharmaceutical companies around the world, including global teams and in-country affiliates from Canada, the US, the UK, and Europe. Our research and consulting services are driven by a focus on methodological rigour. In addition to working with the private sector, we support several research projects undertaken by public section organizations, as well as pursue grant funding to undertake our own research. Our projects leverage a powerful combination of capabilities in health economics, outcomes research, market access, medical writing, data analytics, and epidemiology.
You can learn more about us at www.Medlior.com.
The Senior Research Lead has the responsibility of leading a variety of diverse health outcomes research projects, under the supervision and guidance of a Principal (which can include Senior Principals). It is the expectation that a Senior Research Lead requires less-frequent and/or -direct project-level input and oversight from the Principal than that required by a Research Lead. From time to time, the Senior Research Lead may also be deputized to perform duties of the Principal.
The Senior Research Lead reports to a Principal, and line manages at least one or more members of the Research and/or Technical teams. The Senior Research Lead works collaboratively with other members of the Management Team to support a positive team culture, improve internal capabilities, and seek new opportunities for Medlior to positively impact to global health. The Senior Research Lead will be accountable for the operational components of Medlior research projects, including, but not limited to, promoting client relationships, proposal and budget development, project management activities, managing contractors, monitoring Toggl and Asana, and overseeing the work of junior staff. The Senior Research Lead will often be deputized to approve client deliverables. The Senior Research Lead will also have organizational responsibilities, such as hiring and resource planning, training staff, identifying and implementing organizational improvement initiatives, and engaging in business development activities.
The position requires work in both qualitative and quantitative research projects. Given the nature of the role, Senior Research Leads need to be comfortable with shifting priorities, a variable workload, and working within the constraints of tight timelines.
Typically, the Senior Research Lead will act as the operational project lead, accountable for the operational success of each project, including monitoring project hours in Toggl to ensure tasks are completed within budget. It is the expectation that the responsibility for the day-to-day running of the project will be delegated to the Research Manager, including the internal project communications, management of Asana pages, organizing meeting invitations, and keeping meeting notes. The Senior Research Lead will work closely with the Principal, who will have strategic project oversight, to ensure alignment with contractual obligations. On a project-by-project basis, the Principal may deputize final sign-off to the Senior Research Lead for agreed project deliverables. On projects, the Senior Research Lead will:
- Discuss and approve the project strategy with the Principal
- Escalate resource/organizational issues raised by the project team to the Principal
- Lead client communications and external meetings, unless otherwise delegated
- Seek approval from the Principal for all client communications regarding changes in scope, budget, and timelines
- Be accountable for project resourcing and timelines:
- Monitoring project hours on Toggl are within budget, and flagging any issues with the Principal
- Overseeing effective use of the project Asana page
- Overseeing the work of junior staff and contractors, including delegating responsibility for project tasks
- Overseeing the effective use of project-related tools (e.g., Distiller, EndNote, ShareFile, Qualtrics) and ensuring appropriate training is provided
- Reviewing and approving project deliverables for client delivery or Principal sign-off (as agreed with the Principal on a project-by-project basis), ensuring all final outputs are accurate, valid, and reliable
- Ensuring all client feedback has been addressed appropriately or flagged for discussion
- Ensuring clear, concise, accurate, and meaningful interpretation, communication, and presentation of results
- Identifying and discussing the need for scope or timeline amendments with the Principal
Additionally, the Senior Research Lead sits on the Management Team. As a member of the Management Team, the Senior Research Lead will:
- Direct “non-billable” internal activities (e.g., draft proposals and project budgets; pursue methodological advancements; line manage Research Managers, Research Associates, Research Assistants, and Research Students; lead in-house training activities; etc.)
- Participate in recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees
- Coach and mentor junior staff
- Pursue methodological advancements for team growth
- Coordinate formal feedback opportunities for the organization
- Identify and pursue opportunities for business development (e.g., scope amendments, etc.)
- Identify and implement opportunities for internal process/procedural improvements
- Lead marketing activities (including speaking opportunities at external events)
- A research-based graduate degree, in a scientific or healthcare-related discipline
- Familiarity with a variety of research methodologies, and at least an intermediate level understanding in at least one of Medlior’s area of focus on (i.e., health technology assessment, real world evidence, or evidence synthesis)
- 5+ years of professional experience with healthcare-related research. At least 2 of these years must be in commercial research.
- 2+ years of experience with project management
- 2+ years of experience with people management
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills
- Self-motivated, highly organized, and detail oriented
- Able to work successfully within a set timeframe
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all members of the Medlior team, and the ability to work in an environment of continuous change and growth
Organization and time management
Critical thinking and analysis
Resourcefulness and initiative
Creativity and adaptability
Employment is contingent on the applicant’s confirmation of eligibility to be employed in Canada (i.e. a valid social insurance number and, if applicable, supporting documentation from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)). It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that they are legally entitled, pursuant to IRCC’s requirements, to work at Medlior.
Candidates will be contacted via Medlior email to schedule first-round interviews. Please ensure to check your Spam or Junk Mail email folder to prevent missed communication, and mark the email as “not junk”.
Please email us your resume and cover letters to HR@nullmedlior.com