Guanmin is a senior biostatistician with extensive experience in applied research using provincial and national administrative health data, including physician claims, hospitalization data, registry data, drugs, vital statistics, and emergency medical service data to understand chronic disease burden, health outcomes, and health services utilization.
Guanmin has advanced skills in administrative data analysis using various statistical software (such as SAS, STATA, and R), including generating and analyzing longitudinal research cohort data for research. In addition to producing over 90 peer-reviewed papers in high impact journals, Dr. Chen has held academic appointments with Alberta Health Services, the Libin Cardiovascular Institute of Alberta, and the Department of Community Health Sciences at the University of Calgary.
Recent Medlior RWE Publications
- Chen G, Sharif B, Farris MS, Cowling T, Pinto L, Rogoza R, Fairbarin M, Anderson T. Healthcare resource utilization and associated costs among patients with atherosclerotic cardiovascular diseases in Alberta, Canada. Canadian Journal of Cardiology 2020;30(10): S20. https://www.onlinecjc.ca/article/S0828-282X(20)30682-6/fulltext
- Chen G, Sharif B, Gerber B, Farris MS, Cowling T, Cabalteja C, Wu JW, Maturi B, Klein-Panneton K, Mah JK. A population-based study examining the epidemiologic burden, healthcare resource utilization and costs of spinal muscular atrophy in Alberta, Canada. Presented at the 25th International Annual Congress of the World Muscle Society, October 1, 2020; Virtual Congress.
- Chen G, Sharif B, Gerber B, Farris MS, Cowling T, Cabalteja C, Wu JW, Maturi B, Klein-Panneton K, Mah JK. A population-based study examining the epidemiologic burden, healthcare resource utilization and costs of spinal muscular atrophy in Alberta, Canada. Neuromuscular Disorders 2020; 30(Supplement 1): S101. https://www.nmd-journal.com/article/S0960-8966(20)30383-7/pdf
- Chen G, Farris MS, Cowling T, Tai M, Pinto L, Colgan S, Rogoza RM, Anderson TJ. Low-density Lipoprotein Cholesterol Management in Patients with Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Diseases and Pre-existing Diabetes in Alberta, Canada. American Diabetes Association (ADA) 79th Scientific Sessions 2019; June 8, 2019; San Francisco, California
- Jimenez-Zepeda VH, Chen G, Cowling T, Shaw E, Farris MS, Liu FF, Tay J. Multiple Myeloma Treatment Landscape from 2011 to 2017 in Alberta, Canada: Results from the Population-Based “Identifying Outcomes in Real-World Multiple Myeloma” (INFORMM) Study. Presented at the 24th Congress of the European Hematology Association (EHA); June 13–16, 2019; Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Chen G, Farris MS, Cowling T, Colgan S, Xiang P, Pericleous L, Rogoza RM, Tai MH, Anderson TJ. Treatment and Low-density Lipoprotein Cholesterol management in patients diagnosed with clinical Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease in Alberta. Can J Cardiol. 2019; 35:7:884-894
- Tay J, Chen G, Cowling T, Shaw E, Farris MS, Liu FF, Jimenez-Zepeda VH. Early mortality following diagnosis of multiple myeloma from 2011 to 2016 in Alberta, Canada: Initial results from the population-based Identifying Outcomes in Real-World Multiple Myeloma (INFORMM) study. Accepted for the 2019 ASCO Annual Meeting. J Clin Oncol 37, 2019 (suppl; abstr e19509)
- Shaw E, Liu F, Tay J, Jimenez-Zepeda VH, Chen G. Identifying Outcomes in Real-World Multiple Myeloma (INFORMM): Insights in Methodology for Using Administrative Health Data in Alberta. Presented at the 2019 CADTH Symposium; April 14–16, 2019; Edmonton, AB, Canada.
- Chen G, Farris MS, Cowling T, Colgan S, Xiang P, Pericleous L, Rogoza RM, Anderson TJ. Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Diseases and Low-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol Management in Alberta, Canada. Presented at the American Heart Association Scientific Sessions, November 2018; Chicago, USA.
- Chen G, Farris M and Cowling T. Methodological issues for measuring pharmacotherapy treatment and its calibration with patient outcomes using real-world data. International Journal Population Data Science. 2018; 3:3: 170.
- Gerber B, Cowling T, Chen G, Yeung M, Duquette P, Haddad P. The impact of treatment adherence on clinical and economic outcomes in multiple sclerosis: Real world evidence from Alberta, Canada. Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders 2017; 18(Supplement C): 218-24.
- Gerber B, Cowling T, Chen G, & Haddad P. Linking Administrative Data Sets from Alberta, Canada to Examine the Impact of Treatment Adherence on Health Care Resource Utilization Among Multiple Sclerosis Patients. Presented at the 2017 CADTH Symposium, April 2017; Ottawa, Canada.
- Gerber B, Cowling T, Chen G, Rivest D, Yeung M, Duquette P, Kindudu C, Barbeau M & Haddad P. The Impact of Treatment Adherence on Clinical and Economic Outcomes in Multiple Sclerosis: Real-World Evidence from Alberta, Canada [Abstract]. Value in Health. Nov 2016; 19(7): page A437.
- Gerber B, Cowling T, Chen G, Yeung M, Duquette P, Schecter R, & Haddad P. MS patient characteristics and healthcare resource utilization from administrative databases: real-world evidence from Alberta, Canada. Presented at the 32nd Congress of the European Committee for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis (ECTRIMS), Sept 2016; London, UK.