Tara founded Medlior Health Outcomes Research Ltd. in 2008 with a priority for providing value and insight to health outcomes research projects through robust methodology. Tara has over 15 years of health outcomes research experience in both public sector and industry. Prior roles include five years with Alberta Health Services as the Lead of Clinical Data Services and five years in HTA/Market Access for AstraZeneca UK, Wyeth UK and IMS Health UK. In addition, Tara gained experience as a Research Fellow for Clinical Guidelines in Chronic Conditions at the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) in London, UK.
Tara obtained her MSc from McMaster University in the Faculty of Medicine, Department of Neuroscience and Psychiatry where she was awarded the Natural Science and Engineering Research Council – Graduate Scholarship. Prior to this Tara gained her BA and MA in Physiological Sciences from Balliol College at The University of Oxford.
Tara is a member of the American Medical Writer’s Association (AMWA) and the International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR).
Medlior Publications by Tara
- K. Larkin-Kaiser, C. Waters-Banker, T. Cowling, L.A. Snow I., Hasani M., Fernet. Canadian Real-World Evidence on epidemiology, outcomes and economics of moderate-to-severe osteoarthritis: a systematic literature review. Value in Health, Volume 22, S707. https://www.ispor.org/publications/journals/value-in-health/abstract/Volume-22–Supplemental-S3/PMS78-CANADIAN-REAL-WORLD-EVIDENCE-ON-EPIDEMIOLOGY–OUTCOMES-AND-ECONOMICS-OF-MODERATE-TO-SEVERE-OSTEOARTHRITIS–A-SYSTEMATIC-LITERATURE-REVIEW
- C.Hawes, S. Harris, F. Mubarack, D. Hinds, T. Cowling, C. Waters‐Banker, M. Farris, A. About‐Setta. Comparative effectiveness and safety, and health‐related quality of life of haemophilia A treatments: A systematic review. (2020), Abstracts. Haemophilia, 26: 27-181. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/hae.13911
- Chen G, Sharif B, Farris MS, Cowling T, Pinto L, Rogoza R, Fairbarin M, Anderson T. Healthcare resource utilization and associated costs among patients with atherosclerotic cardiovascular diseases in Alberta, Canada. Canadian Journal of Cardiology 2020;30(10): S20. https://www.onlinecjc.ca/article/S0828-282X(20)30682-6/fulltext
- McMillan H, Gerber B, Cowling T, Khuu W, Mayer M, Wu JW, Maturi B, Klein-Panneton K, Cabalteja C, Lochmuller H. Disease and treatment burden of spinal muscular atrophy on patients and caregivers in Canada. Presented at the 25th International Annual Congress of the World Muscle Society, October 1, 2020; Virtual Congress.
- McMillan H, Gerber B, Cowling T, Khuu W, Mayer M, Wu JW, Maturi B, Klein-Panneton K, Cabalteja C, Lochmuller H. Disease and treatment burden of spinal muscular atrophy on patients and caregivers in Canada. Neuromuscular Disorders 2020; 30(Supplement 1): S100. https://www.nmd-journal.com/article/S0960-8966(20)30383-7/pdf
- Chen G, Sharif B, Gerber B, Farris MS, Cowling T, Cabalteja C, Wu JW, Maturi B, Klein-Panneton K, Mah JK. A population-based study examining the epidemiologic burden, healthcare resource utilization and costs of spinal muscular atrophy in Alberta, Canada. Presented at the 25th International Annual Congress of the World Muscle Society, October 1, 2020; Virtual Congress.
- Chen G, Sharif B, Gerber B, Farris MS, Cowling T, Cabalteja C, Wu JW, Maturi B, Klein-Panneton K, Mah JK. A population-based study examining the epidemiologic burden, healthcare resource utilization and costs of spinal muscular atrophy in Alberta, Canada. Neuromuscular Disorders 2020; 30(Supplement 1): S101. https://www.nmd-journal.com/article/S0960-8966(20)30383-7/pdf
- Chen G, Farris MS, Cowling T, Colgan SM, Xiang P, Pericleous L, Rogoza RM, Tai M, Anderson T. Treatment and Low-density Lipoprotein Cholesterol management in patients diagnosed with clinical Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease in Alberta. Canadian Journal of Cardiology 2019;35(7):884-891.
- Cowling T, Loshak H. An Overview of Liquid Biopsy for Screening and Early Detection of Cancer. Ottawa: CADTH; 2019 Nov. (CADTH Issues in Emerging Health Technologies; Issue).
- Cowling T, Farrah. Fluoroquinolones for the Treatment of Other Respiratory Tract Infections: A Review of Clinical Effectiveness, Cost-Effectiveness, and Guidelines. Ottawa: CADTH; 2019 May (CADTH rapid response report: summary with critical appraisal).
- Cowling T, Frey N. Macrocyclic and Linear Gadolinium Based Contrast Agents for Adults Undergoing Magnetic Resonance Imaging: A Review of Safety Ottawa: CADTH; 2019 Mar. (CADTH rapid response report: summary with critical appraisal).
- Cowling T, Jones S. Gene therapy: international regulatory and health technology assessment (HTA) activities and reimbursement status. Ottawa: CADTH; 2018. (Environmental scan; no. 71)
- Cowling T, Dolcine B. Point-of-care testing. Ottawa: CADTH; 2017 Oct. (Environmental scan; no. 65).
- Cowling T, Jones S. Topical antibiotics for infected wounds: A review of the clinical effectiveness and guidelines. Ottawa: CADTH; 2017 Mar. (CADTH rapid response report: summary with critical appraisal).
- Pant S, Cowling T, Chelak K, Kaunelis D. Opioid formulations with tamper-resistance or abuse-deterrent features — products and policies. Ottawa: CADTH; 2017. (Environmental scan; no. 62).
- Cowling, Tand Boucher M. (2016). Environmental Scan on Pharmaceuticals Requiring Companion Diagnostics. International Journal of Technology Assessment in Health Care. 32(5), 327-336.
- Cowling T, Pant S. Single drug technology assessment processes across health technology assessment organizations. Ottawa: CADTH; 2016 Nov. (Environmental Scan; Issue 55).
- Loorand-Stiver L, Cowling T, Perras C. Drugs for rare diseases: evolving trends in regulatory and health technology assessment perspectives. Ottawa; CADTH; 2013 Oct [updated 2016 Feb]. (Environmental scan; issue 42).
- Cowling T, de Léséleuc L. Surgical interventions performed outside the hospital operating room. Ottawa: CADTH; 2015. (Environmental Scan; Issue 49).
- Cowling T, de Léséleuc L. Reprocessing of single-use medical devices: a 2015 update. [Environmental Scan; Issue 48]. Ottawa: Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health; 2015.
Recent Medlior RWE Publications by Tara
- Scory T, Shaw E, Cowling T, Péloquin F, Welch V, Charaan M, Brown A. The Impact of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation on Work and Productivity Loss in Patients with Acute Leukemia: Results from a Rapid Review. Presented at the 46th Annual Meeting of the European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (EBMT 2020), Virtual Meeting, August 29 – September 1, 2020.
- Morrison P, Wang G, Estes M, Sharif B, Shaw E, Cowling T, Tay J, Jimenez-Zepeda VH, Far b, Amannejad Y. Toward Standardized Structured Reporting for the Management of Multiple Myeloma in Alberta: Insights in Application of Machine Learning. Presented at the 2020 CADTH Symposium (e-poster Gallery).
- Chen G, Farris MS, Cowling T, Tai M, Pinto L, Colgan S, Rogoza RM, Anderson TJ. Low-density Lipoprotein Cholesterol Management in Patients with Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Diseases and Pre-existing Diabetes in Alberta, Canada. American Diabetes Association (ADA) 79th Scientific Sessions 2019; June 8, 2019; San Francisco, California
- Jimenez-Zepeda VH, Chen G, Cowling T, Shaw E, Farris MS, Liu FF, Tay J. Multiple Myeloma Treatment Landscape from 2011 to 2017 in Alberta, Canada: Results from the Population-Based “Identifying Outcomes in Real-World Multiple Myeloma” (INFORMM) Study. Presented at the 24th Congress of the European Hematology Association (EHA); June 13–16, 2019; Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Chen G, Farris MS, Cowling T, Colgan S, Xiang P, Pericleous L, Rogoza RM, Tai MH, Anderson TJ. Treatment and Low-density Lipoprotein Cholesterol management in patients diagnosed with clinical Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease in Alberta. Can J Cardiol. 2019; 35:7:884-894
- Tay J, Chen G, Cowling T, Shaw E, Farris MS, Liu FF, Jimenez-Zepeda VH. Early mortality following diagnosis of multiple myeloma from 2011 to 2016 in Alberta, Canada: Initial results from the population-based Identifying Outcomes in Real-World Multiple Myeloma (INFORMM) study. Accepted for the 2019 ASCO Annual Meeting. J Clin Oncol 37, 2019 (suppl; abstr e19509)
- Chen G, Farris MS, Cowling T, Colgan S, Xiang P, Pericleous L, Rogoza RM, Anderson TJ. Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Diseases and Low-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol Management in Alberta, Canada. Presented at the American Heart Association Scientific Sessions, November 2018; Chicago, USA.
- Farris M, White K, Liu FF, Cowling T. A Rapid Literature Review of Real-World Evidence in Multiple Myeloma: Patient Characteristics and Health Outcomes. Presented at ISPOR Europe 2018, November 2018; Barcelona, Spain.
- Chen G, Farris M and Cowling T. Methodological issues for measuring pharmacotherapy treatment and its calibration with patient outcomes using real-world data. International Journal Population Data Science. 2018; 3:3: 170.
- Gerber B, Cowling T, Chen G, Yeung M, Duquette P, Haddad P. The impact of treatment adherence on clinical and economic outcomes in multiple sclerosis: Real world evidence from Alberta, Canada. Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders 2017; 18(Supplement C): 218-24.
- Gerber B, Cowling T, Chen G, & Haddad P. Linking Administrative Data Sets from Alberta, Canada to Examine the Impact of Treatment Adherence on Health Care Resource Utilization Among Multiple Sclerosis Patients. Presented at the 2017 CADTH Symposium, April 2017; Ottawa, Canada.
- Gerber B, Cowling T, Chen G, Rivest D, Yeung M, Duquette P, Kindudu C, Barbeau M & Haddad P. The Impact of Treatment Adherence on Clinical and Economic Outcomes in Multiple Sclerosis: Real-World Evidence from Alberta, Canada [Abstract]. Value in Health. Nov 2016; 19(7): page A437.
- Gerber B, Cowling T, Chen G, Yeung M, Duquette P, Schecter R, & Haddad P. MS patient characteristics and healthcare resource utilization from administrative databases: real-world evidence from Alberta, Canada. Presented at the 32nd Congress of the European Committee for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis (ECTRIMS), Sept 2016; London, UK.